Unseen passage 4: The Eagle And The Baby Bird (BBC Compacta class 6th Module 5 worksheet 17)



 Q. Read the passage carefully:

   THE EAGLE AND THE BABY BIRD

(1) In a big shady tree lived a mamma and papa bird with their small little bird. Everyday they would feed and take care of the baby bird till it grew up to go on its first flight.

(2) "Today we will teach you how to fly. Then you can go and see the world,"papa bird said. "But wait till we get some food for all of us,"said mama bird softly.

(3) The baby bird sat in the nest waiting in excitement for its first flight. Suddenly a shadow fell on him. He looked up and saw a huge bird staring at him.

(4) "Who are you?" asked the baby bird. "I am an eagle,"said the big bird in a gruff voice.

(5) "Oh, hello eagle uncle. My papa and mamma are not home. They have gone to get some food for us and after that they are going to teach me how to fly," said the baby bird excitedly. "You please wait. They will be returning any moment now."

(6) "I have not come to meet them. I have come to eat you because I am hungry," said the eagle.

"Why do you want to eat me. I am no food. You wait, eagle uncle and share the food my papa and mama will bring,"said the baby bird.

Eagles have always eaten other smaller birds and so I am not going to eat you also. So, don't talk too much and let me eat you in peace."

(7) "Okay, eagle uncle, I won't stop you but first let me kiss you to forgive you the way my mama does to forgive my moschiefs." So saying the baby bird kissed the eagle near the left eye.

"That felt nice. Do it on the other side too,"said the eagle.

The baby bird obliged.

(8) "Hey, this is nice. I never knew you could also love another being. Come here baby bird and let me thank you for showing me the meaning of love,"said the eagle hugging the baby bird.

(9) Very soon, the papa and mama bird returned home to find a guest for lunch!

The Tribune

(I) On the basis of your reading of the above passage, complete the following statements as briefly as possible. Write the answers in the space provided.

(a) The shady tree was home to ...........
(b) One day the baby bird was alone as ...........
(c) .......... made the baby bird feel very excited.
(d) The visitor with gruff voice wanted ...........
(e) Two qualities of baby bird as revealed in the story are: (i)......... (ii) .............
(f) The eagle felt a little irritated because ......... .
(g) The baby bird wanted to kiss the uncle because ...............
(h) The uncle wanted the baby bird to kiss him a second time as ...............

(II) Find words from the passage which mean the same as the following from the paragraphs indicated. Write the answers in the space provided.

(a) looking fixedly (paragraph 2-3)
(b) deep and rough (paragraph 4-5)


                         ANSWERS
(I) 
(a) mama bird, papa bird and their small little bird. (para 1)
(b) her parent's (mama bird and papa bird) has gone to get some food for all of them. (para 2)
(c) its first flight (para 3)
(d) to eat baby bird (para 6)
(e) i) sharing (para 6) 
     ii) loving (para 7)
(f) baby bird was talking too much and don't let her to eat yourself in peace. (para 6)
(g) baby bird forgave eagle the way her mama does to forgive her mischiefs. (para 7)
(h) It felt her nice (para 7)

(II)
(a) staring 
(b) gruff


Comments